Saturday, January 10

i never cry at movies

a First for 2004: my tears fell while i was watching "I Am Sam". Thrice.

*******************************************
Instead of doing some quality work for my thesis, i spent the time watching 4 movies within 3 days. Ya, i was feeling guilty but apparently it wasn't enough to deter me from putting in the vcds again and again

i watched "The Usual Suspects" when i was in Sec 3 and remember being blown by it, even though i couldnt quite understand the twist. Yesterday, i was like "what? you mean that's the twist? shouldnt there be more?" but the movie ended, with some of my burning questions unresolved.

then "The Piano Teacher"...okay, the female lead was feeling repressed, right? so why didn't you reciprocrate but instead play hard to get when this dashing male student comes along and is willing to indulge in any games you might have had in mind? go have sex lah! and i didn't understand the ending--why go stab yourself in the chest? aren't you risking a lot here--your reputation, your job, your sanity?

"The Love Letter" was better but i still felt strangely unfulfilled. am i supposed to fill in the gaps here with my imagination? (like did the deceased male lead choose his wife-to-be because she resembled his sec sch classmate? and how did the wife-to-be feel about it all if it was indeed so?) or are there no answers to begin with?

i badly need a film module so that i can appreciate films better! as is the case now, my emotions are only evoked by straight-in-your-face, no-holds-barred narrative storytelling like "I Am Sam". Otherwise, I go "huh?" and "shit, dont understand leh...must really go and check out the film reviews sometime"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home