Saturday, March 5

For YEP

email written to yahoogrps

I guess the concern about whether it would be more beneficial if money is donated to the targeted communities will always remain as one of the existential questions about YEP.

Remember how Pi Noy observed that we seemed to be looking tired and lifeless nearing the completion of the project? She felt this was because she had adopted a tight working schedule and we were suffering from its strains. She apologetically explained this was necessary because she didn't think so many villagers would turn up to build the library if the SinGApore kids weren't around anymore.

I believe I told you guys this--my Vietnamese contractor treated my leader and facilitator and this "strong guy" to dinner because he felt humbled about us urban people giving up material comforts and travelling all the way to his country to slog it out in the hot sun. I recount these ancedotes because they remind me that sometimes, the people whom we are trying to help don't just see us as a pool of erm, unconstructive labour.

In these instances at least, I believe our presence serves as a symbolic beacon of hope. Our stint, albeit a short one, sends a signal to these people that they and their problems are not forgotten.My Vietnamese contractor mistakenly gave us too much credit for "coming down" to the level of his people but I suspect it's the norm that we Singaporeans are perceived as ambassadors from the sophisticated outside world. By working alongside with them on the project and by embracing enthusiastically their lifestyle (and gushing unbecomingly at buffaloes:P), we indicate an interest in their predicament and a willingness to improve their welfare.

Initially, I felt weird about Pi Noy's comment. Why would she tell the villagers that they are embarking on this project to help us, and not their own people? My guess at her rationale is that having been immersed in their socio-cultural setting for so long, the villagers don't really feel motivated or committed to improve things. Hence, it may not be the wisest way if we just give money directly to host communities as they may not be mentally and psychologically prepared to implement changes on their own.

I may be protraying Singaporeans as "glorified flower vases" but I believe that our presence is an adrenalin-pumping stimulus to prod locals out of their inertia or comfort zone. Upon proper nurturing and empowerment by YEP groups, hopefully the locals would feel more gungho and confident about their abilities to improve their society.

Lastly, detractors may feel that bringing up the point about enhanced inter-cultural understanding is superfluous . For if people's basic needs are not met yet, why would they care particularly about befriending friends from another culture?

I happen to think that the feeling of companionship and of being respected is just as important as having your basic necessities fulfilled. And that is, I think, the most redeeming point about YEP. For this programme perceives our host communities not as aid awardees but as people.

Our inexperience and inexpertise regarding construction work is unfortunate (Kudos to more pre-expedition coaching in the works!) but I think it's fair to say that our worth is deemed more valuable than the number of bricks we can lay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home