Wednesday, June 1

humble publication

Original

My teammates and I were collecting old clothes and newspapers to raise funds for an overseas community service project.
An elderly couple we approached seemed supportive of our efforts and asked us to elaborate on the nature of our project. When told that we wanted to help to build a school library in a North-eastern Thailand village, they nodded appreciatively and commended us on embarking on such a noble cause.
Just then, their grandson, who must have been only two to three years old, toddled to us, clutching a stuffed toy. Grandpa and Grandma spontaneously encouraged him to donate his toy, saying that we should share our possessions with those less fortunate than us. This he did, with hardly any fuss.
Immediately, Grandpa and Grandma clapped and praised him and cajoled him to donate more. To my amazement, he went off to take a big Garfield stuffed toy and handed it over readily to me. He neither wavered nor gave any signs of protest.
I was so bowled over by this act of maturity and generosity that I didn't quite know what to do. In the end, I squatted down, looked him straight in the eye and thanked him profusely.
I remain impressed by Grandpa and Grandma who were so adept in imparting lifelong virtues like kindness and thoughtfulness at a moment's notice.
And needless to say, this small guy with a huge heart really made my day.

The Electric New Paper :
Valuable lessons from grandparents [published and edited]
01 June 2005
MY teammates and I were recently collecting old clothes and newspapers to raise funds for an overseas community service project.
An elderly couple we approached were supportive of our efforts. When we told them that we wanted to help to build a school library in a North-eastern Thai village, they nodded appreciatively and commended our work.
Just then, their grandson, who was aged about 3, toddled towards us, clutching a stuffed toy.
Grandpa and grandma spontaneously encouraged him to donate his toy, saying that we should share our possessions with those less fortunate than us. This he did, with hardly any fuss.
Immediately, grandpa and grandma clapped their hands, praised him and cajoled him to donate more.
To my amazement, he returned with a big Garfield stuffed toy and handed it over. He neither wavered nor showed reluctance.
I was so bowled over by this maturity and generosity that I didn't know what to do.
In the end, I squatted down, looked at him smilingly and thanked him profusely.
I am impressed by grandpa and grandma who were so adept in imparting lifelong values like kindness and thoughtfulness at a moment's notice.
Needless to say, this small lad with a big heart really made my day.
- Heng Kai Le

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home